Tuesday, August 12, 2008


A few pictures from an Austin neighbourhood where Obama is extremely popular : I saw no less than ten houses with Obama signs on two blocks. 
Austin is a very liberal city, and thus offers a stark contrast with the rest of Texas. On a day trip to the hill country, in a rural area an hour away from Austin, we came across several Ron Paul signs : apparently the libertarian Republican had quite a following there. 


Until yesterday I had not come across a single McCain sign, but in Natchez, Mississippi, at last I caught a glimpse of a McCain T-shirt. 


In Austin and New Orleans, the people I have been speaking to were enthousiastic about the Obama campaign, but in the more rural areas, such as the Cameron parish in Louisianna, I believe people will support the Republican candidate. Louisianna is a traditionally Republican State (remember that Bobby Jindal is the governor and was considered a potential VP for McCain a couple months back, before he got himself in trouble over the pay rise that the legislature had granted itself). McCain's support for the policy of drilling for oil just off shore of the coast will certainly win him votes in this State which relies very heavily on oil. Many people work on off-shore platforms and the money from the oil compagnies certainly benefits everyone.  
The African-American population represents roughly 18% of the total State population and racial issues are still extremely sticky here. 

I'm now in Mississippi and will try and report anything of great interest as I go along. I've noticed that the price of gas is here on average ten cents per gallon more expensive than in Louisianna. 
More reports when I have the time. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It enables us to express our feelings and opinions.